CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

About Me

My photo
Near the Beach in Florida, Florida, United States
I am a Middle School Math Teacher. I have been teaching for 24 years. (oh my!) Teaching 6th Graders keeps me very young at heart. I live near the beach in Florida, and enjoy my family and pets. I am a very tech savvy person and like electronic gadgets.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Happy Birthday and Fond Memories

Today is my sister's 44th Birthday and I send her warm Birthday Wishes today and always.

I get a widget from my iGoogle homepage everyday. Today's Day in History brings back fond memories. I'll explain after the blurb...

This Day in History

"Marilyn Monroe Marries Joe DiMaggio (1954)Monroe married baseball star DiMaggio after a two-year courtship that captivated America. The marriage lasted just 274 days, collapsing amid reports of her infidelity and his violence and jealousy, but the two became close again after Monroe divorced Arthur Miller. When Monroe was found dead in August 1962, it was DiMaggio who claimed her body and arranged her funeral. What did DiMaggio have delivered to Monroe's crypt three times a week for twenty years following her death?" A single rose...

My father volunteered as a Ham Radio Operator at the Orange Bowl Parade every year for many years before he retired and moved. He was the "head honcho" so to speak. His job was to start and stop the parade at times for commercial breaks. He was stationed at the beginning of the Parade every year, where the Grand Marshall's float was. We would go and hang out there and watch the Parade, helping where ever we could.

I got to see many famous people including Jackie Gleason right before he died. But this day in History brings me to memories of my Joe DiMaggio encounter. He was the Grand Marshall for the Parade in 1991. My dad had told me that he was not going to sign any autographs for anyone (contractual agreement with the Orange Bowl committee). Well, you never know, so I went and bought a regulation baseball and a black sharpie hoping for the best.

My mother was in a wheelchair at the time because she had had a stroke that left her paralyzed on the right side and she lost her speech as well. We were right by the Grand Marshall's float as the State Troopers brought Joe DiMaggio out and loaded him in. I had my baseball ready... He smiled at us and I held up the baseball and gave him that please, please, please look. He thought for a few seconds and smiled. He told the Trooper to get the ball from me (even the Sharpie), and he signed it from up top the Grand Marshall's Float! I cried and thanked him. Again he smiled at my mother and me, then waved as the Float took off.

Three people have touched the ball. Me, the Trooper, and Joe DiMaggio. I had an engraved plate made with Joe DiMaggio's name and the date it was signed: 12-31-1991. It is encased in a protective cover on a trophy-like stand. It sits proudly.

My nephew plays baseball and plays very well! He is going to be a great major league player one day. I know I told him about the ball when he was younger, but I guess he didn't remember. He is 14. Well, he saw the ball at my apartment this Christmas and went Bonkers! He couldn't believe what he was seeing. So I told him the story again. Needless to say, he thinks it is cool.

I hope you enjoyed my memories... I know I do! That's all for tonight.

No comments: